Monday, August 25, 2008

On The Edge of Darkness

First, I just want to say how much fun my MTB circuit is. I put together a sweet course of three legs in the winnekenni castle/millvale reservoir areas of haver. It's 17 miles of shortish steep climbs/descents, windy-twisty-off camber-technical single track, fast swoopy double-track, and a long-baby head-wet atv trail. Thanks to the weather, there are a number of muddy sections, but everything is completely ridable. I can rip it off non-stop in just under two hours, and this past sunday I finally made a rocky climb that's about 100 yards long and about %25 grade for the first time this year.

But this post is really about The Blackout.

If you've every been a dedicated racer and commuter, it's happened to you.

You've been over training, you get on the bike to ride to work one morning, and the next thing you know, you're at work. You try to think back about the ride in, and then it hits you......

There's no data.

Your brain seems to have forgotten to turn on its ride computer.

Now, I haven't exactly been over-training, but I guess this morning I was more tired than I thought. I didn't space the whole ride, though there are chunks missing. I can't remember passing Whirlaway Sports, or the entire Menge' valley section of rte 110.

Time to rest? Why not?

3 comments:

solobreak said...

That's nice because while you were out motorpacing, I went the the Rox and instead of $2 Heinekens in right field, they had attractive young ladies handing them out for free. This is now officially a "de-train" week.

BTW, in 2006 there must have been a ripping tailwind at Mt A. That was the year I rode 23:40 after flatting. Mickey B was passing by and gave me a Campy 8 speed wheel for my Shimano 9 speed bike and I rode the rest of the way as a 2 speed.

Not that that has any bearing on next year. It's a long way off, and most masters ride much stronger after taking a year off, and I've no doubt you'll do the same. I hope they still have the race. Terrence is pretty busy these days and the turnout this year was down quite a bit, bummer.

solobreak said...

Hey I commented on the wrong post...

zencycle said...

Blogger solobreak said...
Hey I commented on the wrong post...


DOH!!!!