Thursday, May 29, 2008

It's Wearing A Little Thin....

As I was riding to work this morning, I heard a startling light metallic sound from the ground under my bike, something I could never recall hearing before, in 20+ years of racing and riding. I quickly pulled over and got off the bike. All the spokes were there, the wheel turned true, the tire was still hard - then I noticed the rubber....ew. I've enhanced the photos to show the wear



I've had these World Champion Edition Michelin Axial Pros for a few years. I used to just race on them, and bought them because they matched the good-ole-days team BOB kit - red, yellow, and blue. I bought four of them back then.



Well, as the hub turned, and we're now in the not-so-good-ole-days of team BOB, and the kit now more closely resembles the inside of a baby's diaper with the name to match (hey, that's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it), I transferred the tires to my commuter wheels.



One season of training commuting ~ 5000 miles, not counting the previous years racing. I counted three spots on the tires where the casing is showing throw the rubber and a couple of good gouges. I never did find what made the noise - must have just been some junk I rode over.

It's ok, I have more.

No comments: